Scriptures: Romans 8:35-39
Today's lesson is about understanding the cycle of defeat and how to break it in its early stages.
The cycle of defeat has five stages:
1) Disappointment- facing signficant loss, being made unhappy by circumstances or people and dealing with an injustice.
2) Disllusionment- our perception of life begins to be shattered.
3) Discouragement- in this stage a person experiences loss of hope, confidence and courage.
4) Dejection- to be overcome with a sense of futility.
5) Defeat- this is when a person is no longer willing to fight back.
To break the cycle of defeat there are several steps:
1) We must accept God's love, forgiveness and grace-we know that nothing can separate us from the love of Christ.
2) We have to break the cycle of negative thinking- we have to keep our minds on Jesus, Isaiah 26:3 says: "You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You,
Because he trusts in You."
3) We have to break the cycle of negative thinking- stop criticizing yourself and others. Its imperative to speak words of faith, hope and power.
4) Break the cycle of unforgiveness- We need to get rid of grudges daily. Release anger and leave all vengeance up to God.
5) Pray, praise and worship God- we have to contiually have a spirit of worship.
6) Make time for God's Word- in life we make time for the things we find important, we need to make sure the Bible is a priority!
7) Do with our hands and mind- Jesus said to occupy till He comes- we need to find something to do for God.
8) Stop trying to figure everything out- Only God knows everything, we need to limit our introspective time.
9) Learn to laugh- bring more humor into your life, the Bible calls it "good medicine."
10) Submit to God, resist the devil and he will flee from you- we have weapons: the name of Jesus, the spirit of God, scripture, testimony and praise!
11) With every victory praise!
Defeat is not something we are meant to live with, we are meant to live with praise and victory!